Saturday, July 27, 2013

A Jewish World

Holy moly, you guys--We've been here for a month! I feel like its been two years, but also like its flown by. Life here feels pretty normal, but I always have the feeling like we are going to be going home soon. Alas, we literally do not have a place to live in the States, so we are home, and thats a good thing!

Though this is our home, (metaphorically and literally), there are a few things about this country that are frequently catching me off guard. The biggest of which, is the notion that this is a country governed by a religion. Of course I've always known that (Jewish State, of course), and its one of the things (THE thing) that makes the Middle East so volatile. But I never really put myself into the mix and thought about how I feel about it.   It just seems so ingrained in me that religion and government should never mix.
For example,  restaurants here must pay extra to remain open on Shabbat and other Jewish holidays. ------Can you imagine Perkins having to pay extra to be open on Christmas?
Jewish people have priority in becoming citizens.
There was just an election for Chief Rabbis.
Gender equality is still being debated-- in 2013!

I hope it doesn't seem naive or ethnocentric, but simply put: It feels weird. I am proud to be a Jew, and I believe its important to have a place thats ours, but I still feel uncomfortable with the idea that religion still holds so much power over here. Especially when the spectrum of Jewish theology is so giant. OY.

On a lighter, albeit more yucky note, I have seen something happen twice that has made me feel as if I am in a whole different world. While walking down Ben Yehuda street the other day, Adam and I saw Grandmother holding her child over a tree. Cute, you say? Nope. The child was not wearing pants, and the child was pooping. On a tree. In the middle of the busy, touristy, public street. And this was the second time we saw someone doing this. I know that in many countries it is perfectly acceptable to use the street as your toilet--mainly because there is not access to toilets, and when a kid has to go, they gotta go. But here? Plenty of toilets to use! Even dog owners pick up their dog's poop with a baggie! I didn't stick around to see if they bagged it, but I doubt it. I am fascinated by this. Not only because its pretty yucky, but also because it seems like Israel is very intent on projecting itself as a First World Country. We were specifically told that we shouldn't barter with merchants in the shuk because its offensive and Third World. Maybe I'm just easily offended? What do you guys think?

Okay, we are off to see a movie on this fine Shabbat afternoon! Shavua Tov!

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment