Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Shabbat, Tel Aviv, and Sunburn

Its hard to know what to write, because so much happens each day. I feel like we've been here for weeks, but I know that must be because there is so much to do, see, and learn. Since I can't possibly remember everything, I will try to give the highlights!

We had our very first Shabbat in Israel, which is something both Adam and I were excited to experience. Though we've both been here before, there is something very different about being independent and able to explore everything, as opposed to being shuttled around in a bus and having everything planned out for you. After at least an hour of walking (uphill!) we went to services with a group of Adam's classmates. We went to a progressive congregation that ended up being a very good place to be for the night! Rick Jacobs, the president of the Union for Reform Judaism was there, along with some other prominent Rabbis. The services was very nice, and both the congregational Rabbi and Rabbi Jacobs made beautiful speeches. Afterwards, the HUC students gathered around Rabbi Jacobs like groupies, so excited to shake his hand and meet him--it was very cute!

We walked to dinner at a classmate's apartment, and shared a potluck Shabbat meal. We enjoyed meeting all of the people, and there are even more coming each day.  I love that each student comes from a different place, and each have different perspectives on Judaism that will spark some interesting conversations. The highlight was after  dinner song-session led by renowned song leader Adam Bellows.  ( :)) But seriously, it was both relaxing and energizing to sing Jewish songs in Jerusalem. I never realized how many songs say Israel or Jerusalem in the words--and here we are!

I assumed that on Saturday everything would be shut down, and there would be no cars on the streets. . that is mostly true, but there are definitely a few cars and taxis, as well as about a few shops that stay open. Adam took a long walk to the Kotel (Western Wall) in the morning, and I went on a walk of my own to explore the neighborhood. I ended up walking along a beautiful bike/walking path that led me to an old train station. To my surprise, I heard loud music playing! As I walked in I saw about 100 people milling about an area that looked a bit like a boardwalk. There were tents, a coffee stand, an ice cream stand, a restaurant, and a few shops open. I tried calling Adam to meet me there, but since he was at the wall, he didn't answer. When I got back to the apartment, he called to tell me that he was on his way home and found that same area--great minds think alike! I met him there for lunch and OMG--have I mentioned how good the food is here? We have been trying not to eat out, but every time we do, we discover new things to try that are so fresh and delicious. Amazing yogurt, cheeses, coffee, vegetables..its pretty incredible.

On Sunday, we headed to Tel Aviv for a little getaway before everything starts here. We ended up taking almost five hours to get there, (what should be less than two hours total), with several stops and gaps in between to figure out which bus to take, buy a bathing suit because I forgot, and choose the right streets and paths to take. When we finally  got there, we were rewarded with an amazing view of the Mediterranean that we will never forget. We changed right away, and went across the street to the beach. The water was surprisingly warm, and we went crazy jumping in the large waves. I lost my sunglasses, but it was totally worth it! We even got to watch the sunset--it felt like a movie.

We spent the next day on the beach, and got a little too much sun! I need to work on applying sunscreen more often--the sun is pretty intense here! We both needed lots of aloe before bed..ouch. Tel Aviv is a beautiful city, but by today we were ready to get back here--too may transitions in a short amount of time! It only took us 2 hours this time--we learned from our mistakes on the way there, and it was nice to be home and feel like it was home.


In the last week, we've been learning how to get around, and have found it very convenient to use the bus system. Many busses stop right on our street, so we just Google Map the correct route and go on our way! Last week, we were able to go to the kenyon (mall) to buy some needed items for the apartment and and go shopping at "Supersal Deel" (superbasket deal) for food.

I feel much better about my Hebrew, and today we had a long conversation in Hebrew with our cab driver in Tel Aviv, and I understood most of it! I am still not very comfortable speaking, but my understanding had improved a lot, and I don't feel lost. I have noticed that the tone makes a huge difference, and its hard to understand what Israelis are saying because the tone and cadence of sentences are different. Its hard to explain, but for example, In English, our tone goes up at the end of a question, or stays flat for a sentence. -its almost like everything is more timid. Israelis are very, um, assertive, and everything is feels brash and loud. I have to remind myself that it is a cultural difference and not everyone is mad at me!

Tomorrow, we are going on a tour of HUC, and hope to get student ID cards for discounts and a bus card. I plan on going to a few English-speaking schools in the area this week to offer my services, preferably in the form of a job, but maybe just to volunteer. I am also starting Ulpan (Hebrew class) in a couple weeks! I will be going to the Conservative Yeshiva for a three week program that meets five mornings a week! Another HUC S.O. (That's what we are called- Significant Others!) is going there, and I went with her to sign up and check it out! Im excited to have a bit of a routine going eventually, an to feel less nervous about my Hebrew skills.

Alright, I must go now--but now that we are a bit more settled I will try to update as much as possible! -

I also have an album going on Facebook--check it out!Israel! ( I hope that works...)

L'hitraot!

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment